The disastrous earthquake hit Nepal on 25th April 2015 with several aftershocks that claimed lives of over 8,000 people, destroyed over 600,000 houses and thousands of public buildings.Why Karuna stepped into relief and rehabilitation?
- Earthquake survivors were in dire need of humanitarian support
- Project districts of Karuna were severely hit by the earthquake
- Knowledge of the local context, especially in the field of children and adults with disabilities and their families
- Realizing the vulnerability of persons with disabilities and their families and post-partum mothers during disasters and rescue phase
- Government was looking support from all Development Partners
- Strong network within country and at the international level
- All the team members realized that they should get involved into it